The University of Texas at Dallas's career center approached me to assist in furthering a new program they're currently developing to help encourage literary and english majors to pursue internships in publishing houses. As part of this program, they put together a series of workshops taught by working professionals to teach and supply the students with useful skills to increase their eligibility to attain internships.
I created curriculum and taught an hour and a half long workshop centering on the essentials of InDesign with a brief overview of the software's tools for editors. The workshop entailed a brief lecture accompanied by a guided design session. The student's project was to design and create a newsletter or magazine editorial spread using InDesign.
Lecture Key Points:
- Adobe Creative Suite: “The Big 3”
- Vector files, Raster file, & Desktop Publishing
- The scope of InDesign
- The 10 Essential tools of InDesign
- Creating a one page advertorial, flyer, or editorial
- Creating a four page magazine spread
- InDesign tools for Editors & Copywriters
- Your next steps to become fluent in InDesign